My employer says I am not entitled to a redundancy payment because I have waived my right to one. Is this correct?

You are entitled in law to a redundancy payment if you have worked continuously for your employer for two years or more and are being dismissed for redundancy.

You cannot be made to give up or 'sign away' that right, no matter what your contract says.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle