I currently have an individual contract of employment, but I have been offered a change to collective terms. What should I do?

If you wish to accept terms specified in a collective agreement you should ask your employer to amend your contract of employment by including an express term incorporating the relevant terms in the collective agreement into your own contract. Make sure you sign and return the new terms to confirm your acceptance.

The collective agreement itself should be readily accessible to you and other employees it covers.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle