If my contract of employment is for a fixed-term, how can I extend it?

A fixed-term contract of employment is just as binding and enforceable as other contracts of employment. The terms are agreed between the parties and cannot be lawfully varied without further agreement.

If you wish to extend the contract beyond the expiry date you should discuss this with your employer, perhaps with the help of a trade union representative.

If you have had a series of fixed-term contracts which have run back to back for four years, then under the Fixed-Term Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2002, you may be entitled to be recognised as a permanent employee and be given a corresponding permanent contract of employment.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.