What can I do if my employer gives notice to make changes to my contract of employment that I oppose?

A contract of employment is a legal agreement between the employer and the employee. It cannot be changed without your agreement. At workplaces where a union is recognised, change should be negotiated through collective bargaining.

Your employer is legally required to give you written notification of any change to your contract terms within one month. This requirement does not change the fact that an unauthorised, one-sided variation is a breach of the contract of employment. The fact that the employer gives notice to vary the contract does not make the variation lawful if you (or the trade union) do not agree to it.

If your employer is seeking to vary your contract and you are unsure whether to accept the changes, or what to demand in return for agreeing to the change, seek advice from your union rep or a legal advisor.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.