I am an hourly-paid careworker working in the community. Am I entitled to be paid for my travel time journeying to and from my last appointment of the day?

Yes. Your average basic hourly pay must be at least the National Minimum Wage and this includes your time spent travelling between visits to the homes of different service users unless, perhaps, there is enough time to get home between each visit. It is up to your employer to organise your shifts in a sensible way to take account of the travel time.

Securing members their proper pay for their travel time between shifts is a key campaigning issue for many trade unions, so speak to your union to see what can be done.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.