Am I entitled to training and development in respect of my current or any future role?

Some jobs and functions in industry require training and, in some cases, the attainment of a qualification – for example, in the construction and care sectors, or functions such as health and safety at work. In these situations, employers are legally obliged to provide employees with training leading to recognised qualifications.

Others do not require specific training but, in order to ensure the employee is capable and effective, the good employer will ensure there are arrangements for continuing training, particularly where new technology impacts on the nature of the job.

It would be usual for employers to arrange specific training for employees who are promoted into supervisory or management positions.

Since 6 April 2009, individuals over 18 years old working in organisations with 250 employees or more have a statutory right to request time off for study or training. Those aged 16-18 have a separate right to time off for study or training.

In workplaces where unions are recognised, there is likely to be a Union Learning Representative (ULR) you can talk to about your training requirements. The TUC learning and skills arm Unionlearn has trained thousands of members in all sorts of areas, including literacy and numeracy. For more information, visit the Unionlearn website.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.