I have not been paid the correct relocation allowances on transfer. What should I do?

There is no statutory requirement to pay relocation allowances, but it is quite common for employers to have a contractual policy on such allowances – this is especially likely in unionised workplaces.

If you have not been paid the correct amount, raise the issue with your manager. If you are a member of a trade union, consult your union representative. If the matter can't be resolved by these informal means, you may have to raise a formal grievance using your organisation's formal grievance procedure.

Where a policy or formal agreement on relocation allowances has been incorporated into your individual contract of employment, you will be able to pursue a legal claim. Your claim, which must be brought promptly and within the relevant time limits, will likely be for breach of contract and/or for unlawful deduction from wages.

Where a group of workers are affected, it is usually best to begin by organising yourselves to try to tackle the issue with your employer collectively, via your union if one is recognised where you work.

Note: This content is provided as general background information and should not be taken as legal advice or financial advice for your particular situation. Make sure to get individual advice on your case from your union, a source on our free help page or an independent financial advisor before taking any action.

What is WorkSmart?

A career coach that works for everyone.


Enjoy bite-sized activities delivered to you every week.

Lightbulb brain

Equip yourself with essential skills to be the best you yet.


Get the guidance you need to stay focused and reach your goals.

Worksmart circle